sábado, 6 de novembro de 2021

2021-11: David Crosby (CSN) and...

... A Day in the the Life:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/david-crosby-the-beatles-song-left-him-stupefied/?amp

Citando:
""The best thing that ever happened to me was visiting The Beatles when they were making Sgt. Pepper,” he began. “I came in and I was very high. They sat me down on a stool in the middle of the studio and rolled up two six-foot-tall speakers on either side of me. Then, laughing, they climbed the stairs back to the control room and left me there. And then they played ‘A Day in the Life.’ At the end of that last chord, my brains just ran out my nose onto the floor in a puddle. I didn’t know what to do, I was just stupefied.”

That final, enormous E Major is one of the most famous chords in popular music. It was recorded as a replacement for the vocal section that had originally sat in its place but which was felt to be unsuitable. On February 22nd, 1967 – each seated at separate grand pianos – Lennon, McCartney, Starr and Mal Evans all played a resonant E Major chord at the same time, with George Martin doing the same on harmonium. Behind the glass, the studio engineers pushed the recording level as high as possible and kept the tape running as the chord dissipated, allowing the reverberations to gradually decay. What the listener is left with is a 40-second drone that slowly dissolves into the walls of Abbey Road studios. The sound is so complex and so full of overtones (naturally occurring harmonies) that the brain is at a loss to work out how to disentangle the web of sound that it has been confronted with. No wonder Crosby was left speechless."

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário